Personal Injury Case Illustration
Personal injury law allows those injured through the negligence of another to file a civil lawsuit and receive damages for their losses. Sometimes an accident is just an accident. Other times, accidents are directly related to carelessness, recklessness, or negligence. The goal of a personal injury claim is to compensate the victim financially as a means of making them “whole.” Personal injury claims cover car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, dog bites, wrongful death, and defective products. Consider the following case illustration of nursing home abuse:
Following the death of his wife, William, a 78-year-old man with diabetes, is moved into a nursing home. Aside from his diabetes, William is in relatively good health, although he requires help getting in and out of bed. Jed, a male nurse, has been verbally reprimanded on more than one occasion for ignoring patient requests. Jed usually helps William out of bed and to the bathroom around 7 a.m. each morning. On this particular morning, it is almost 9 a.m. and William has called out for Jed several times.
Jed ignores William’s pleas, even telling him to “shut up” at one point as he passes his room. William finally decides to try and get out of bed on his own to go to the bathroom. Although he is very careful, William loses his balance and falls getting outing of bed breaking his hip, wrist, suffering cuts and abrasions. William lies on the floor in pain for almost 45 minutes, as his cries are unheard or ignored. William is finally discovered and taken to the hospital. Because of his diabetes, his injuries do not heal well, leaving him with much more serious mobility issues. William’s mental health also declines rapidly as depression sets in.
William’s children are shocked at how quickly his mental and physical health declines after the fall. They find out the particulars of William’s fall and decide to sue the nursing home. Over the course of the investigation, it is discovered that no background check was done on Jed. In addition to verbal reprimands, Jed has several write-ups in his personnel file for neglecting patients’ needs. Moreover, the nursing home was understaffed.
Once William’s attorney presents his case, the nursing home’s insurance company quickly agrees to a settlement to pay for William’s medical bills as well as pain and suffering. While the settlement doesn’t change what happened to William, it does allow his family to secure a private nurse to care for him in a family member’s home. It also prevents Jed from neglecting other residents. Following an injury due to negligence, personal injury lawyers from the Noll Law Office can help you in the same way.
The lawyers at the Noll Law Office help people like William and his family every day. They are deeply committed to ensuring those injured through negligent or careless behaviors receive financial compensation. As a victim, you need someone in your corner—someone who cares about your medical and financial health. The Noll Law Office will seek justice and a better future on your behalf.
Personal Injury Practice Areas
The personal injury lawyers at Noll Law Office handle many types of personal injury claims, including:
- Bicycle Accidents can happen in an instant. Since bicyclists have little to no protection, their injuries are often severe. In the State of Illinois in 2019, there were 2,339 bicyclists injured by drivers and 12 were killed. Traumatic brain injuries, back and neck injuries, fractures, internal injuries, and road rash injuries are all common following a bicycle accident. It is important to hold the careless driver accountable for the injuries and other financial damages.
- Car Accidents According to Driver Knowledge, there are as many as six million car accidents each year which kill more than 90 people each day. Of those accidents, there are approximately two million victims with long-term or permanent injuries. Car accidents are one of the primary causes of personal injury claims since most car accidents are the result of driver negligence or carelessness. Drivers may be distracted, impaired, overly fatigued, or have ignored traffic laws. One minute you are on your way home after work, the next you are injured, perhaps unable to work, wondering how to safeguard your future. The Noll Law Office is ready to help you through this difficult time so all you need to worry about is getting better.
- Dog Bites & Attacks can leave victims seriously injured. When a dog bites a victim, they can cause puncture wounds, muscle tears, nerve damage, scarring, infection, and disfigurement. The State of Illinois almost always mandates that the owner of the animal is responsible for the damages done by the animal. Generally speaking, this means the dog’s owner is liable for the dog bite victim’s injuries. Fortunately, most dog bites are covered through homeowners’ or renters’ insurance. The Noll Law Office lawyers are experienced in obtaining coverage for dog bite injuries to obtain coverage of medical bills, lost wages, future medical needs, as well as pain and suffering.
- Drunk Driving Accident Victims may face serious injuries that can take months or years to resolve. When a drunk motorist gets into a vehicle, other drivers on the roadway are in danger. Victims of drunk driving accidents are entitled to pursue a civil claim for damages. If a business over-served alcohol to the person, that business may also be liable under Illinois dram shop laws. The Noll Law Office has a deep understanding of Illinois DUI laws and can use that knowledge to hold the driver responsible.
- Nursing Home Abuse causes trauma to the victim as well as their loved ones. It is truly horrifying to think of your loved one being neglected or abused by those who are supposed to care for and protect them. Nursing home abuse is, unfortunately, all too common. Physical abuse may include hitting, kicking, pinching, sexual assault, or shoving, while emotional abuse could stem from yelling, threatening, harassing, intimidating, or attempting to humiliate an elderly person. Withholding basic necessities, such as food, water, or medicine—or refusing clean clothing or bathing—are both physical and emotional abuse. While nursing homes may be understaffed, there is never a justification for nursing home abuse. If you suspect your loved one is being abused in a long-term care facility, there are steps you can take to protect your loved one. The Noll Law Office will help you investigate the abuse, then hold the abuser(s) accountable.
- Pedestrian Accidents, like bicycle accidents, often leave the victim seriously injured. Pedestrians, unlike motorcyclists and bicyclists, don’t even have the protection of a helmet. When pedestrians are hit by a vehicle, they may be thrown into the air, landing on the pavement or other hard surface with significant force. These accidents can cause permanent injuries, disability, or even death to the pedestrian. The victim may be unable to work and make a living, facing months or years of medical treatments. If you are the victim of a pedestrian accident, the personal injury lawyers at Noll Law Office can help you get your life back on track.
- Wrongful Death and Survival Actions In the State of Illinois, the decedent’s estate can bring a lawsuit for wrongful death and survival action claims. Damages can include medical expenses prior to the death, funeral and burial costs, the loss of the decedent’s financial contributions, and compensation for grief, loss of companionship, and other damages. The Noll Law Office will help set up an estate and seek justice for your loved one. While a financial settlement will not alleviate your grief over the loss of your loved one, it can help you and your family move forward.
How Do I Choose the Best Personal Injury Lawyer for Me?
Choosing an Illinois personal injury lawyer can feel overwhelming when you are injured and facing financial devastation. At the Noll Law Office, its lawyers want to make the process more comfortable for you. It is always free to talk to the attorneys, Sarah and Daniel Noll. Your initial consultation costs you nothing—and the Noll Law Office receives no money until you are compensated fairly. They will always fight for a full and fair settlement on your behalf.
The Noll Law Office will do everything in its power to help you get back on your feet. Whether you’ve been involved in an auto accident, hit by a drunk driver, struck while crossing a city street, or bitten by a dog, they can help. They want you to have the time you need to heal and put your life back together while they handle the insurance companies.
How Can Noll Law Office Help Me?
Personal injury lawyers at the Noll Law Office will provide exceptional representation for your personal injury claim. They are highly successful negotiators and litigators who use their skills to benefit you and your family. As fifth-generation Springfield attorneys, they are deeply entrenched in their community. They consider Springfield and the Central Illinois community as their neighbors and friends. As such, you will speak directly to experienced and local personal injury attorneys throughout the process. Contact the Noll Law Office today for a free initial consultation.