Did You Suffer Shoulder Injuries From Nursing Home Negligence in Illinois? Call Our Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Springfield for Help
While nursing homes are generally considered safe places to put elderly people in need of a higher level of care, there are times when residents are mistreated, neglected, or abused, leading to serious injuries. There are a variety of serious injuries that can occur as a result of nursing home negligence, with shoulder injuries being particularly common. There are many different causes of shoulder injuries from nursing home negligence in Illinois, including during a fall or when aggressively picked up or moved by providers in an inappropriate manner. Other times physical abuse, such as punches, kicking, and being thrown down, can all cause serious shoulder injuries. If you or a loved one suffered any type of serious shoulder injury from an incident at a nursing home or long-term care facility, call the experienced nursing home abuse lawyers in Springfield at the Noll Law Office.
Their compassionate and dedicated legal team can help victims and their families recover compensation for nursing home abuse, neglect, and negligence. Whether you are unsure if you have a case, or if you are confident that you have been the victim of nursing home abuse, call the Noll Law Office to schedule a FREE case evaluation at (217) 414-8889. There is no obligation to sign up and there are no upfront costs or fees to begin working with their personal injury law firm – even after they start working on your case. To learn more about your rights if you or a loved one suffered shoulder injuries from nursing home negligence in Illinois, contact them today.
What Types of Shoulder Injuries are Caused by Illinois Nursing Home Negligence?
Shoulder injuries caused by nursing home negligence not only lead to significant pain but also disability which may sometimes be permanent. Even with appropriate treatment, most nursing home residents will never regain the same level of function that they had prior to their injury. Some residents may live the rest of their lives with shoulder pain and discomfort, especially in serious cases of nursing home abuse and neglect.
The most common types of shoulder injuries from Illinois nursing home negligence in Illinois include the following:
- Rotator cuff tear – This type of tear is often the result of a fall. A nursing home resident may be trying to break their fall, causing an impact on the muscles and tendons that make up the rotator cuff. This impact can cause partial or full tearing of the rotator cuff.
- Shoulder dislocation – This also is an injury that commonly occurs due to a fall. Most individuals will try to brace their falls with outstretched arms, leading to dislocation of the shoulder joint. This type of injury causes significant pain as well as swelling and bruising.
- Clavicular fracture – This is another type of fracture occurring as a result of a fall on an outstretched arm. The pressure on the bone from a hard fall onto your shoulder or an outstretched hand can cause a fracture of the clavicle. This type of injury causes pain and can cause difficulty in bending the arm.
- SLAP tear – Slap tear injuries occur when there is an injury to the superior part of the labrum. This is the point at which the biceps tendon attaches to the labrum. This type of injury causes a tear in both the front and back of this point of attachment. This injury can either be caused by a fall or can also be caused by forceful pulling on the arm (i.e., nursing home abuse).
- Other shoulder injuries can occur in a nursing home fall, motor vehicle accident during transport (i.e., to a doctor’s appointment), or due to abuse, neglect, or other negligent acts.
What Causes Shoulder Injuries From Nursing Home Negligence in Illinois?
While not all shoulder injuries are preventable, far too often they are caused by negligent care provided in nursing homes. Nursing homes are required to minimize fall risks, have appropriate safety plans in place to minimize the risk of falling for residents identified as being at risk for falls, and provide all residents with at the minimum the standard of care they deserve. Some of the most common causes of shoulder injuries caused by nursing home negligence include the following:
- Poor maintenance of a facility resulting in trip and fall hazards
- Failure to appropriately monitor residents who are fall risks
- In a motor vehicle accident during transport to an appointment
- Wheelchair accidents
- Transfer accidents, such as a bed to a wheelchair, or a wheelchair to a chair in a communal area.
- During showering or bathing
- From a lift, such as lifting a resident up to sit up in bed or to change wound bandages, for hygienic purposes
- Inappropriate use of restraints leading to shoulder injuries
- Abuse (i.e., striking a resident, pulling forcefully on their arm or shoulder, forceful grabbing, etc.)
- Failing to meet a resident’s basic needs (i.e., toileting) leads to residents attempting to meet their needs themselves, and
- Other causes of shoulder injuries from nursing home negligence in Illinois.
Did You or a Loved One Suffer Shoulder Injuries from Nursing Home Negligence in Illinois? Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Springfield for Help With Your Case.
Shoulder injuries are some of the most common types of personal injuries in a nursing home. Although they may be caused by an unavoidable accident, many times nursing home abuse, neglect, or negligence plays a large part in it. Victims who suffer shoulder injuries from nursing home negligence in Illinois should call the experienced nursing home abuse lawyers in Springfield at the Noll Law Office for help. Their compassionate and dedicated team can help hold nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and other defendants liable for their wrongful conduct. To learn more about how they can help you, contact the experienced nursing home abuse lawyers in Springfield at the Noll Law Office.